Thursday, October 8, 2009

Bavaria, Germany Part 2: Garmisch and the Zugspitze

After Munich, we explored other parts of Bavarian Germany. First, we visited the Dachau Concentration Camp. My mom was German, so I have always been very interested in the country. In both high school and college, I took a lot of German language, culture, and history classes. It was so powerful to be able to stand in the spots I had studied for so many years.

We then headed down to Garmisch to see the German Alps. We highly recommend this beautiful town for anyone visiting Germany. Brian and I have always thought that Epcot was a surreal or fake version of countries, but after visiting places like Garmisch, we see now that Disney got it right - these countries really are that surreal and beautiful.

While in Garmisch, we ventured up the Alps to the Zugspitze, the highest point in Germany at nearly 10,000 feet! It's pretty much an all-day adventure that includes a couple of cable cars and trains. In addition to the breathtaking view, one of the highlights for us was seeing snow. Brian and I are both native Floridians, so this was the first time Brian has seen real snow and only my second time (ironically my first time seeing snow was visiting my mom's family in Germany more than 10 years ago)!

During the winter, this area attracts tons of ski lovers. We're talking about heading back to try out the slopes and maybe even do some tobaggoning. In the meantime, here are some photos from this trip. =)

2 comments:

  1. Hi,

    nice post about the Zugspitze. Was it fresh snow?
    Want to join the Zugspitzeclub?
    http://www.zugspitzeclub.com/en/

    Kind Regards,

    Frederik

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it was fresh snow, but I can't be sure because I'm from Florida! =) It was nice and clean though - it hadn't turned grayish yet. Very cool with the Zugspitze club! Thanks for the info.

    ReplyDelete