Friday, November 12, 2010

Back to Bavaria - Munich & Mittenwald with Chris

Chris is a huge winter sports fan, so we definitely wanted to take him over to Germany while he was here.  We flew into our favorite part of Germany, the Bavarian region, to show Chris Munich and then travel to Mittenwald.  We toured Munich, the capital of Bavaria, the first day and then of course had dinner at the famous Hofbrauhaus with two of Chris' friends from high school who had just moved to Munich.  In true German style, we sat at a communal table where we met some very nice locals who gave us a tour of the restaurant and gave us history about Munich.  Of course we enjoyed the German beer, pretzels, and schnitzel as well!
Our new friends at Hofbrauhaus
The next morning, we visited BMW World to take the factory tour and see how BMWs are made in their home country.  I at first didn't want to go because I didn't think it would interest me much, but I was so wrong.  It was fascinating to see the automation and robots creating all of the cars.  We also learned that if you order a BMW in the States, you can fly over to Munich to pick it up and drive it around Germany for a few days before they ship it over to you.  Yes, I definitely think Brian and I need to do that...  =)

Chris and Brian at BMW World in Munich, Germany
Afterwards, we took a short train ride to Mittenwald, with a populaton of approximatley 7,500 residents.  We always love going to these smaller places rather than the large cities so we can truly experience a country's culture.  Mittenwald was amazing, and while there, we had the opportunity to take a cable car up the Karwendel Mountain to play in the snow and go hiking (well, the boys did the hiking while I stayed comfortable and warm in the alpine restaurant reading a book).  =)  We did some other hikes closer to ground through the beautiful forests as well.
Go Gators!  On top of the Karwendel Mountain
I finally got the boys to stop throwing the snowballs AT each other!
Chris hiking on Karwendel Mountain, overlooking Mittenwald
Brian hiking through the snow on Karwendel Mountain
Brian and I on a hike through the forest
Mittenwald was yet another German town that was so darn cute, you didn't think it was real!  Bavaria holds a special place in my heart because of my mom, and I'm so glad we were able to take one of our best friends there to experience it as well.

Brian and I in the ridiculously cute Mittenwald  =)

Our B&B in Mittenwald - can't get much better than this.  =)

No comments:

Post a Comment