Sunday, February 20, 2011

My Family Comes to Europe, Contd.

After an amazing time in Germany, my family and I took a train to Interlaken, Switzerland, to tackle the Jungfrau Mountain.  This was on my dad's lifetime to-do list, and after some investigating, I could see why.  Branded as "the top of Europe," Jungfrau is reached by taking a 2.5-hour train ride to the highest railway station in Europe.  It is considered a Unesco World Heritage site, and the complex at the summit features an ice cave and an observation deck.  We spent a good few hours up there on a beautiful day in Switzerland.
Beautiful view of the Alps from the Jungfrau
My family and I on top of Jungfrau in Switzerland
From Interlaken (which is a very cute Swiss city by the way!), we took yet another train to Lucerne.  My dad is a huge train nut, so training between locations was part of the highlight for him.  I have to admit that I love the trains too.  You get to see so much beautiful scenery, AND I don't have the anxiety I always feel during a flight! 

Brian met us back in Lucerne after working during the week, so we could all make the journey up to Mount Titlis, also in the Alps.  To get to the peak of this mountain, you take a train from Lucerne to Engelberg and then take a series of cable cars to the top, including Rotair, the world's first revolving cable car.  Once there, you basically have a winter playground to have fun in.  We ate lunch, took photos, explored an ice cave, and did the Ice Flyer over the glacier.  Once again, we were blessed with an amazingly perfect day so we had incredible views across the Alps.  On the way back down Mount Titlis, we stopped at the Snow Fun Park to play with snow toys that none of us had even done before because we're all Florida babies.  The highlight of the day was doing a snow tube down a track with my dad and then doing a 3.5-kilometer tobaggon run back down.  All of the snow fun definitely brought out the kids in all of us!

With my family on top of Mount Titlis
The Titlis Rotating Cable Car that takes you to the peak
Snowball fight between siblings!
My dad trying to get in position for a shot he wanted of the Alps -
I was scared he would fall!
On the Ice Flyer - the sun was shining!
Brian with one of the snow toys to go down the hill
(blue, of course, to match his orange pants).  Go Gators!  =)
Cathy saw snow for the first time and made her first Snow Angel
On the tobaggon run - too much fun!
Unfortunately, my family had to leave that night to head back to Florida, but Brian and I stayed in Switzerland for an extra couple of days to explore Lucerne and Zurich more before returning to England.  Switzerland is definitely a beautiful country - we just wish it weren't so expensive!  =) 

A beautiful day in Lucerne
Overlooking Zurich
My family cut it close coming out for this final visit, but we are so happy it worked out.  This was our final trip on what has been an amazing two years in England, and it definitely was a good one.

No comments:

Post a Comment