Saturday, March 6, 2010

Update on Driving Tests

Brian and I are officially in the process of getting our UK licenses, and like I said in a post before, it is quite a pain!  I am further in the process because Brian needed his passport a few extra weeks so his initial paperwork is more delayed than mine.

I am sad to say that I FAILED on my first written test.  The test includes 50 multiple-choice questions (you have to get 43 right) and what they call a hazard perception video clip test.  You are shown 14 clips and have to click your mouse at certain times for potential hazards.  I passed the question part, but my timing was off on the video game part so I failed.  Now I have to retake the entire test, which is going to cost me another $50.  Needless to say, I'm not happy.  =( 

To give you an idea of how ridiculous this test is though, let me run through a few of the things we need to know:

  • We must stop if a sheep herder on the road asks us to because we might scare the sheep and cause a road hazard. (As I've told my Facebook friends, I responded that I would NEVER stop for this random guy - there are way too many crazies out there!)
  • If my car catches fire in a tunnel, I'm supposed to keep driving it if possible until I get out of the tunnel.  (Yeah, I wouldn't do that...  I would want to get out of the car ASAP!)
  • We have to know how to medically treat accident victims, including how to treat burns, shock and bleeding wounds.  (FYI, in case you are wondering, to treat someone for shock, I said to walk them around but the real answer is to reassume them constantly.)
  • When passing horses on the road, we must give them plenty of room and drive by slowly.
  • To prevent "dazzling" other drivers, if we are in a traffic queue, we are supposed to use our handbrake only.  (Seriously, who would do that?)
There are a ton of other random questions, but so far, those have been my favorite.  Wish us luck as we continue to go through this process!

No comments:

Post a Comment