Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Graduate School

So I realized that many of you out there may be wondering what in the world I do over here in England since I gave up my job when we moved here.  I have actually started graduate school to get my MBA, something I have been wanting to do for a while but the timing just never worked out.  I thought about doing a UK program, but ultimately decided to stick with an online program from the States.

I am now in Term 3 of a 2-year program through Penn State University.  When I graduate in August 2011, I will officially have my MBA!  It really isn't that long, but as anyone who has done a grad program can tell you, it can seem like forever at times!

So basically I do all of my coursework and discussions and team meetings online.  My group actually works from 3 different time zones, so we've learned a lot about compromising and working together to develop a schedule that works for everyone.  I wasn't sure if an online program would work for me, but I really like the flexibility it gives me especially since Brian and I love to travel.  I think it's also good preparation for the future since so many businesses are global now and you have to be able to work with people across the country and the globe.

I will actually be traveling to Pittsburgh in May to meet my group for the first time in person and work together during a residency week with a company.  The only other time I will have to travel to Pennsylvania is for graduation next year, which is really nice given how expensive tickets are from the UK!

So far, the program has been going well, but just like undergrad, I still don't like any of the economics, finance or accounting classes!  And speaking of school, I actually have to run now to get some homework done before a group meeting.  =)  More later!

No comments:

Post a Comment