Sunday, May 23, 2010

Grad School in Pittsburgh Followed by Fun in NYC

You may be wondering why my blog posts have been less frequent this last month.  Well, it's all thanks to a little thing called graduate school at Penn State, or more specifically, 3 courses with an insane amount of coursework!  I am still really glad I am doing it, but the work was definitely very intense this term, and it all culminated with a residency in Pittsburgh a couple of weeks ago.

The residency allowed us to take what we have learned so far and work with an actual company in Pittsburgh.  I spent 5 days in the city, where I met my online group I have been working with for 8 months for the first time.  I was dreading the whole thing a bit because we kept getting scary emails telling us how hard we were going to have to work and how little sleep we were going to get.  Those parts turned out to be true, but you know what?  I actually had a lot of fun there!  It was cool to be using what I am learning, and I really did like my team.  We got along really well and tried to make the week fun and take some breaks to enjoy the city.  Here we are at dinner our final night:


I'll do one more residency next August right before I graduate.  It seems far away right now, but in reality I know it isn't.

After Pittsburgh, I jetted over to New York City for the weekend to spend time with our friends Jamie and David who live there.  Jamie and I ended up eating our way through the city that weekend - we ate Cuban, Thai, Korean, Greek, Italian, and Mexican food, plus other fun snacks.  =)  It was so nice to relax that weekend, especially after the week I had just had in Pittsburgh.  Here we are at the International Food Festival in NYC:


From NYC, I made my way back to London, after being delayed until the middle of the night because the stupid ash cloud was acting up again and had shut down Heathrow.  More on that saga to come on our blog!  For now, I'm going to take this week off to relax before Term 4 starts next Monday.  =)



No comments:

Post a Comment