Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Furniture Deliveries and Repairs in the UK - "A Cup of Tea"

We've had a TON of deliveries and appointments lately as we have continued to set up our new house. Last week, we had a man come to check our gas lines. I had to move some dishes so he could check around our kitchen. He offered to help me dry them if I made him a cup of tea. I told him I was sorry but that I didn't have a kettle or any way to make tea yet since we weren't living in the house. Then a few days later, we had some furniture delivered. The men asked for cups of water, so I gave them some and they stood around for almost 15 minutes after they were done just chatting away! After a third similar incident, I began to wonder what was going on...

I asked someone over here who has been here for a while and was told that when people deliver items to your house or come to do repairs, it is customary to offer them a cup of tea and/or other refreshments. What?!? I am the type of person who wants the person to get in and get out as quickly as possible. I don't want to sit around and make small talk for a while! It's just such a different custom than what we do in the States.

I would like to note though that I am a quick learner and when the gentleman came yesterday to set up my phone/internet line, I did offer him refreshments. He was very nice and we got everything set up that we needed. I guess I can sit through a cup of tea every now and then... =)

No comments:

Post a Comment